• Add me on Facebook
  • Follow me on Twitter
  • Subscribe to my feed

Oct 6, 2010

What I Know Now... thanks James Blake

Shuffled into this track “I only Know (What I know now)” on Pitchfork recently and it instantly immobilised me in an effort to feel every inflection of sound (even had to put the wine glass down). It's the latest offering from British once-bedroom producer James Blake; off his Klavierwerke (simply meaning “Piano Works”) EP released via R&S records.

The breathless chords divulge slowly until a blunt handclap directs the pace and moves the track from haunting into some kind of sensual melancholy: one voice impelling through the atmosphere in echoing pulses.

The top vocal lines reminded me of Bon Iver in The Wolves (Act I and II), though softer; more sexually forlorn than open-wounded: like the soundtrack to making love for the last time to the one you can’t be with.

Well at least that’s how it made me feel…

Mark Richardson from Pitchfork wrote a near perfect technical deconstruction so make sure you check it out after you re-emerge.

No comments: